EMANet Charité Berlin - Emergency and Acute Medicine Network for Health Care Research
The Emergency and Acute Medicine Network for Health Care Research in Berlin (EMANet) is a network of
- the Emergency Medicine department,
- the Institute for Medical Sociology and Rehabilitation Science,
- further scientific institutes of Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin,
- emergency departments located in the Berlin-Mitte district (city center) and
- other important stakeholders in the care of emergency patients.
EMANet is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. It aims to improve care in the German health system. To this end, patients’ use of different services of the health care system is investigated and patients’ expectations of care are identified. Emergency departments operate at the interface of outpatient and inpatient sectors and thus represent an important setting for health care research.
EMANet‘s focus is on older patients with multiple chronic diseases (multimorbid patients). In Germany, this group of patients is on the increase due to demographic changes. So far, however, they have not been sufficiently investigated. EMANet contributes to answering the following questions:
- If and to what extent are multimorbid patients using existing structures and facilities of the health system?
- If and to what extent does the health system meet the specific care and psychosocial needs of multimorbid patients?
Cooperating emergency departments in Berlin-Mitte
Emergency departments are important settings where different sectors of the health care system come together. Acutely ill patients are initially treated, first treatment decisions are made and therapies are initiated.
All eight emergency departments in the administrative district of Berlin-Mitte are participating in EMANet: All three EMANet projects EMASPOT, EMACROSS and EMAAge are implemented in all participating emergency departments in Berlin-Mitte (city center district):
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin Notaufnahmen Campus Mitte und Campus Virchow-Klinikun
- Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Berlin
- DRK Kliniken Berlin-Mitte
- Evangelische Elisabeth Klinik
- Franziskus-Krankenhaus Berlin
- Jüdisches Krankenhaus Berlin
- St. Hedwig-Krankenhaus